Strata Tip of the Week - What is the Strata Corporation Required to Insure?

All strata corporations in BC, regardless of size, must obtain property and liability insurance, including bare land strata corporations and strata-titled duplexes.

1. Property Insurance

A. The strata corporation’s property insurance must be for:

  • Common property

  • Common assets

  • Buildings shown on the strata plan, and

  • Fixtures built or installed on a strata lot if built or installed by the owner developer as part of the original construction of the strata lot (e.g., the original flooring, cabinets, etc.)

B. Property insurance must be for the full replacement value (which requires a current appraisal) and insure against all major perils, which include:

  • fire, lightning, smoke, windstorm, hail

  • explosions

  • water escapes

  • strikes, riots or civil commotion

  • impact by aircraft and vehicles

  • vandalism and malicious acts

One surprising fact is that, under the Strata Property Regulationearthquake insurance is not considered a major peril. However, purchasing a unit in a strata corporation that does not have earthquake insurance can pose significant risks. If that is the case, it is important that you make your clients aware, and advise them to seek professional insurance advice.

 2. Liability Insurance

The strata corporation must also obtain and maintain liability insurance to insure the strata corporation against liability for property damage and bodily injury, for a minimum amount of $2,000,000.

3. Strata Homeowner Insurance

It’s important to realize that strata corporation insurance is not the same as strata homeowner insurance. In order to mitigate their risks, many strata owners in BC obtain additional homeowner insurance, which often insures them for:

  • Their household contents

  • Upgrades made to the unit

  • Strata deductible coverage (which protects them in case they are found responsible for paying the strata’s deductible(s).

It is always a good idea to recommend to your clients that they take a copy of the strata’s insurance policy to their insurance broker, to have a discussion about their ability to get additional homeowner insurance, as well as the costs associated with this. That way they’ll have a good understanding of their ability and the costs of mitigating certain risks.

That’s it for this week. If you have any suggestions for other topics you’d like us to cover, please let us know at

Disclaimer: The information provided is for general purposes only. It is not intended to provide legal advice or opinions of any kind. No one should act, or refrain from acting, based solely upon the materials provided, any hypertext links or other general information without first seeking appropriate legal or other professional advice.

Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.